Aotearoa Safaris have a range of Hunting Packages with locations including our own hunting block on New Zealand's volcanic Central Plateau, the breathtaking terrain of the Southern Alps and the scorching wilderness of Australia's Northern Territories.
New Zealand has strict laws governing the use of firearms however it is possible for international clients to bring their own with them. Understandably most clients prefer to use their own firearms. We are however able to provide a range of firearms for client use and we recommend this to save hassle with customs.
We have available in NZ: Browning in 300 WSM, 308, 7mm Mag with Leupold or Nightforce optics. In Australia: 375 H&H with Leopold Optics and 500 Nitro Express.
Any .30 calibre rifle will be suitable and you can expect shooting distances to be from 50 to 300 metres.
A Temporary Visitors Firearms License costs NZ$25 and must be applied for at least a month before coming to New Zealand - apply online here. A permit to import must be obtained from the New Zealand Police - apply online here. We are able to assist with this application.
More information on Visitor's firearms license and import permits here.
TROPHY PREPARATION AND SHIPPING
Packages include the field preparation of trophies. The cost of preparation and documentation for export and subsequent shipping varies. We can assist with the export process and can recommend excellent taxidermists should you wish to have your trophy mounted before shipping.
Australian Aboriginal paintings may be commissioned as a very attractive alternative to European mounts. Results in a huge saving in trophy preparation and shipping costs.
- Thermal pools and spas
- Bungy jumping
- Sky diving
- Jet boating
- Snow skiing
- River rafting
- Lake cruising
Please check with your travel agent for visa requirements.
Please ensure that you have your own current medical and travel insurance.
GETTING TO NEW ZEALAND
Flight from the USA take 12 or more hours. International visitors arrive at Auckland International Airport. We are four hours south of the airport however this drive can be replaced by a one hour plane ride to Taupo Domestic Airport, one hour west of Aotearoa Safaris' hunting block.
Packages include pick up and return to Taupo Domestic Airport.
We have two comfortable cabins within the Aotearoa Safaris hunting area where clients are able to immerse themselves in the unique New Zealand wilderness experience.
Luxury accommodation is available a short drive or helicopter trip from the hunting area if required.
Game can be observed from the huts with transport to hunting areas by either ATV or horse back if preferred.
WEATHER, CLOTHING AND FOOTWEAR
New Zealand has a sub-tropical climate with four distinct seasons throughout the year. The Aotearoa Safaris hunting block is situated close to the Central Plateau alpine area with stunning panoramic views of active volcanoes Ruapehu, Ngauruhoe and Tongariro. Hunters can also travel with us to the Southern Alps, a high altitude region where weather is extremely unpredictable.
Warm winter and light waterproof clothing coupled with light waterproof leather walking boots are recommended. On booking we can provide you with comprehensive information relevant to the time of the year as to what you will need. Excellent outdoor clothing retailers are right on our doorstep.
GETTING TO DARWIN
Our Australian hunting venture is situated in the Northern Territory, out of Darwin.
Flights generally arrive mid-afternoon at Darwin International Airport and depart at 1am so a nights' accommodation on arrival and before departure is highly recommended.
Our packages include pick up from and return to Darwin airport with our hunting areas within three hours drive of Darwin Airport. Helicopter or fixed wing options are available if required.
About Our Packages
- Please note that additional days have been added to the packages to allow for delays due to weather particularly in regards to the New Zealand component.
- Packages are all inclusive pick up from delivery to nearest airport for one hunter and one non - hunting companion.
- A mix of accommodation from a comfortable “Kiwi” cabin to Hotel/Motel and Wilderness Lodge style will be utilized. Please advise of any specific requirements.
- Modern vehicles to transport to and from camp and ATV type vehicles within the hunting area.
- Hunt is confirmed through a 30% deposit with the balance payable at the completion of the hunt. Deposits are non refundable but may be transferred to a suitable alternate date should the need arise.
- Packages are subject to change – please contact us for current pricing. Prices are in US$
- Australia – Flights typically arrive and depart Darwin at the horrendous time of 1AM. You will be very tired. It is recommended that accommodation is booked on the nights of arrival and departure. Included in the packages.
- New Zealand – Flights typically arrive around 6AM with a short connecting flight having you in Taupo around Midday for pickup. Departure flights ex Auckland typically depart early evening.
INCLUDED IN HUNT COST
- All Meals
- Beer and wine with meals
- Firearms usage
- Complementary fishing if time permits. Our North Island base was home to the World Fly Fishing Championships 2009.
- Economy Class airfares New Zealand to Australia
NOT INCLUDED HUNT COST
- Trophy Preparation – Crate and Packing
- Accommodation before and after the hunt package
- Other tourist activities. Please let us know of any specific interests.
- See Blazing Adventures for our adventure tourism activities in Ruapehu District
- World Class Trout Fishing, Expert Tuition
- Jet Boat Tours
- Bungy Jumping
- Whale Watching
- Cultural Tours
- Enquire for more
- Crocodile Floodplain Boat Trip
- Baramundi Fishing
- Cultural Tours
Please advise us of any specific interests.